At Agnes Banks Equine Clinic we have an advanced reproduction laboratory, a breeding shed with a phantom mount, on-site mares available for live cover stallion collections, pens for both mares and mares with foals and large paddocks for our surrogate mares. ABEC also offers an embryo transfer program, giving donor mares the ability to produce multiple offspring in one breeding season, as well as being able to stay in competition work. Additionally, this can provide an alternative for mares who have difficulty carrying foals to term. We perform fresh semen collection (from a jump mare or mount) and evaluation, as well as chilled semen shipment or semen freezing. Epididymal freezes can also be performed as an elective procedure at the time of gelding or in an emergency. In addition, our reproduction unit offers frozen semen storage for on-site use and Australia wide semen distribution. We will also be stocking semen from The Stallion Company based in France. Click here for more information.
Our services also include:
- Live cover
- Off site breeding (if crush is available)
- Mare breeding using chilled or frozen semen.
- Treatment and breeding management for mares with uterine infections, uterine clearance problems and uterine cysts.
- Twin/triplet pregnancy management at variable stages of gestation.
- Evaluation and management consultations/recommendations for high risk pregnancies.
- Stallion collection
- Stallion to train to collect
- Semen evaluation
- Semen cryopreservation (freezing)
- Epididymal semen collection and freezing
- Shipping nationally of chilled and frozen semen
- Frozen semen storage
- Embryo transfer program (for mares bred here or embryos shipped to us
- Post foaling mare and foal examinations, placental evaluations and quantitative evaluation of foal IgG.
- Abortion case management and diagnostics.
- Surgical procedures, including caslicks vulvoplasty/caslick removal, perineal body reconstruction, urethral extensions, recto-vaginal fistulas and cervical lacerations and standing laparoscopic procedures such as ovariectomy and ovarian tumour removal.
Despite the steep challenges involving sub-fertile mares and stallions, we are dedicated to improving fertility in all our equine patients. Seeing a healthy newborn foal beside its dam makes it all worthwhile. However, we understand that ultimately we can only ‘assist’ nature in achieving conceptions and so we won’t hesitate to inform you if we believe that we have exhausted all options. However, believe us when we say that we will keep trying and discussing all management options for your mare or stallion to achieve pregnancies whenever possible.